Turkey Broccoli Salad
One of our favorite ways to celebrate Father’s Day is by renting a boat to take around Balboa Harbor. Jim and the kids’ grandpa, who they call “Pai,” have a blast relaxing with the family and eating a fancy picnic on the boat. We are so thankful for the blessings of Jim and Pai!
This year we made the picnic healthy, as well as delicious…ok, the strawberry cupcakes weren’t healthy, but they were at least gluten and dairy free! My contribution to the meal was this Turkey Broccoli Salad. I was craving one of those sweet broccoli salads that has bacon in it, so I came up with my own healthier version. If you’d like to make this vegan, simply leave the turkey out, use maple syrup instead of honey, and use vegan mayonnaise. The recipe is paleo, but make sure to check the ingredients in your mayo, or make your own. Here’s a recipe for paleo mayonnaise. It’s not low-fat, but does consist of healthy ingredients…and I’ve lost a lot of weight without worrying about how much fat I eat (healthy fats, anyways). This broccoli salad would be a great addition to your 4th of July menu!
You can definitely keep the broccoli raw for this salad, but in the instructions I’ve suggested lightly steaming it. Studies have shown that lightly steaming broccoli helps make the nutrients easier for your body to digest and absorb. Broccoli is full of strong anti-cancer nutrients, like myrosinase. Myrosinase is also anti-inflammatory, so it will help keep your body healthy in many ways! For more information on broccoli and myrosinase, check out this article.
Before we get to the recipe for the Turkey Broccoli Salad, I want to invite you to join with others who are making healthy changes. I’d love to walk alongside you in your journey towards wholeness and health! Jesus said, “I have come that they may have life, and have it to the full!” Freedom from food addictions is part of having a truly full life.
- 1 12 Oz Bag Broccoli Florets
- 1 Cup Purple Cabbage (shredded)
- 1 Cup Cherry Tomatoes (cut in half)
- 1 Cup Cooked Turkey Meat (can use Chicken)
- 1 Cup Grapes (cut in half)
- 1 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1/3 Cup Paleo Mayo (click for recipe)
- 1 Tsp Raw Honey
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1/2 Tsp Pink Himalayan Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Freshly Ground Pepper
- Lightly steam your broccoli for 5-10 minutes, then remove it from the heat.
- Whisk together all of the ingredients for your dressing and set it aside.
- Stir together all of the ingredients for the salad in a large bowl, then mix in the dressing. Enjoy cold!
Leave a Reply