Smoothies are such a good way to get a lot of greens and other nutrients into you and your family’s diet! My 3 year old drinks his kale, spinach, ginger, and omega 3s without complaining (thanks to the fruit they are paired with). This is my current “go to” smoothie. I’m gonna share with you the approximate amounts of what I use, but keep in mind that most of these ingredients are optional. Just use what you have on hand. I have to double the recipe when I make it as a snack for the kids and me.
As a side note, I don’t buy entirely organic produce, because of the price. Organic spinach, kale, and strawberries are worth it, though, because they’re on the “dirty dozen” (the list of foods with the most pesticide risk…click here for more info). Here’s the recipe:
- 2-4 Cups Spinach and Kale (organic preferred; the darker green your kale, the less brown the smoothie will turn from the red strawberries)
- Small Handful of Parsley
- 1 Apple
- Juice of Half a Lemon or Lime
- A Few Mint Leaves
- 1 Chunk of Fresh Ginger (about a teaspoon or two)
- 1 Cup Frozen Organic Strawberries
- 1/4 Cup Raw Cashews
- 1 Cup Almond or Coconut Milk (unsweetened)
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds (add as a garnish at the end and stir in)
Place all ingredients in the blender and blend until smooth, adding more liquid if needed. I blend mine for a long time, because I don’t want to have to chew on leaves! Add the chia seeds at the end if you are using them. Enjoy as a breakfast or a snack!